Gavin Engineering Research Building
This three-story building was originally built in 1930. It has historically served as the home of the University’s Textile Engineering Department. Renovations upgraded the laboratories and offices, improved space utilization within the building and replaced all the existing mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.
The facility houses additive manufacturing; the nuclear power generation simulations lab; pulp and paper; aerospace engineering, including wind tunnel and advanced flow dynamics. The building needed to accommodate two 10,000-pound 3D printers large enough to print engines. The Center for Polymer and Advanced Composites also are included in the building. This new interdisciplinary center focuses on research, graduate education and collaborative outreach opportunities to advance economic growth in Alabama and the Southeast.
Program spaces include:
- Analytical, processing, composites, materials testing, machine and chemical/wet labs
- Wind tunnels, advanced flow dynamics and laser measurement labs
- Tool and material rooms and metal shop
- Maker, fabrication, simulation and demonstration spaces
- Student project and examination areas
- Shared/common space – storage, hoteling offices, grad student stations, large and small meeting spaces and classrooms
Existing building and site conditions analysis and assessment, programming, laboratory planning and design
Stevens & Wilkinson