Saint Louis County Health Department
John C. Murphy Health Center
The two-story structure replaces two facilities: the old headquarters and the old John C. Murphy Health Clinic, which was located on the site. The first floor houses the vital records office, as well as the health clinic. The clinic includes dental, women’s health, pediatrics, WIC, nutrition, X-ray, and clinical labs. The modern, spacious facility also houses health education with three community classrooms and a larger community room.
The second floor houses the Environmental Health Laboratories, which has five major sections that measure levels of environmental toxins known to cause harm to human health.
- Environmental Analysis supports the Health Department’s industrial hygiene and lead poisoning prevention programs. It also offers industrial hygiene support to the Departments of Public Works and Parks.
- Environmental Radiochemistry analyzes drinking water supplies for natural radiation contamination.
- Milk and Water analyzes dairy products and dairy farm water for the eastern half of Missouri. It also supports public health sanitation with swimming pool water testing.
- Air Monitoring Center monitors air quality at various County sites for Clean Air Act compliance.
- Pollen and Mold Center monitors atmospheric pollen and mold (aeroallergens) levels.
Space and functional programming, planning and design criteria for environmental laboratories; design-build procurement services
Meets LEED Silver criteria